[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] emergency shutdown, don't wait for timeouts

Phillip Susi phill at thesusis.net
Mon Jan 4 19:06:55 UTC 2021

Reindl Harald writes:

> topic missed - it makes no difference if it can hold the power 3
> minutes, 3 hours or even 3 days at the point where it decides "i need to
> shutdown everything because the battery goes empty"

It is that point that really should be at least 3 minutes before power
fails.  As long as the battery lasts for at least 3 minutes, then the
monitoring daemon should easily be able to begin the shutdown when 3
minutes remain.

I'm not sure that forcibly killing services to quickly shut down is
really much better than the sudden power loss you are trying to avoid.