[systemd-devel] What exactly is multi-seat? -- questions about logind

Kian Kasad kian at kasad.com
Tue Jan 26 09:43:43 UTC 2021

Hi all,

After reading the documentation on logind and multi-seat (specifically
sd-login(3) and "Multi-Seat on Linux"), I still have some questions.

First of all, what exactly is multi-seat? Does it just mean allowing
multiple sessions to be running at once, like for multiple users to be
logged into the same desktop, even though only one will be in use at a
time?

Second, why is logind needed for this? Is it not possible to do without
logind? I've run Xorg perfectly fine on systems without logind/systemd,
so is logind only needed for multiple sessions at once? Is it just to
handle the graphical device(s)?

Third, is multi-seat possible at all without logind?

Most of these questions arose because my main OS, Artix Linux, requires
logind (in the form of elogind) for Xorg, but I know that Xorg runs just
fine on Alpine Linux, which does not use logind at all.

--
Kian Kasad
PGP 0x1715EEAA14DAEC14