[systemd-devel] service runs - but it's not really there

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 12:55:51 UTC 2021

On 28/01/2021 21:32, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Do, 28.01.21 20:06, lejeczek (peljasz at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> This absolutely boggled my mind, my brain exploded, but go easy on me as I
>> ain't an expert.
>> I have, meaning the "root" but other users too, _NO_ "~/.config/systemd" -
>> thus, how I understand it, no service definitions which are user-made, yet
>> this..
>>
>>user at 0.service - User Manager for UID 0
>>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/user at .service; static; vendor
>> preset: disabled)
>>     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-01-28 17:13:01 GMT; 2h 34min ago
>>   Main PID: 854314 (systemd)
>>      Tasks: 35
>>     Memory: 69.3M
>>     CGroup: /user.slice/user-0.slice/user at 0.service
>>             ├─init.scope
>>             │ ├─854314 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
>>             │ └─854319 (sd-pam)
>>             └─syncthing.service
>>
>> exists and gets auto started by "systemd" without any asking really.
>> This is really very bad, no?
>> What am I missing here?
> systemd at the very least will spawn your per-user dbus daemon, which
> is needs to be available for many programs to function. Even others
> require systemd themselves.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Berlin
I think I found it, in my opinion a very cheeky bastard -
syncthing - who does this:

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

which results in:

-> $ llr /etc/systemd/user/default.target.wants/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 39 Jan 26 10:39 syncthing.service ->
/usr/lib/systemd/user/syncthing.service

So those of you on RHEL and derivatives (I assume that same
rpm goes to all those) - suffices to install "syncthing" an
you have your "roor" does as above and if you are not aware
then the "root" does that with you not even knowing.

As a matter of sharing opinions - is that a good & healthy
practice to make & distribute packages like that?
many thanks, L.