[systemd-devel] Does After=systemd-udevd.service make my service run after the services started by udev rules?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:01:02 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 3:46 PM Manuel Wagesreither <ManWag at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when I have an udev rule with an ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="my.service", and
> another.service with After=systemd-udevd.service, can I at system boot rely
> on my.service to be already run when another.service starts?

No, rule processing is completely separate from udevd's startup. All rules,
even those for devices that are detected "on boot", are run in response to
kernel uevents (either real or faked by systemd-udev-trigger), all of which
happens in udev's main event loop after it has already declared "ready".

--
Mantas Mikulėnas