[systemd-devel] Changing the Priority Level of Journald during Runtime

Andreas Krueger Andreas.Krueger at fmc-ag.com
Wed Jul 28 10:02:35 UTC 2021

Hi Folks,

I'm a programmer who has to realize a dynamic priority level for Journald, i.e. the priority level for incoming messages that decide whether they are stored in the journal shall be changeable at runtime. As far as I know this is not directly supported by Journald, I would like to use a trick to accomplish this:

Each time the level is to be changed, the configuration value of MaxLevelStore is changed accordingly and Jorunald is restarted by command systemctl restart system-journald. Since this will take some time, I ask myself, what will happen to messages that arrive during this time? Are they gone or buffered and available after the restart?

Or is a dynamic priority level available in the meantime?

Regards,
Andreas