[systemd-devel] DHCP6 client failing when /etc is mounted as overlayfs

Paul Menzel pmenzel+systemd-devel at molgen.mpg.de
Wed Jun 2 06:23:30 UTC 2021

[Sorry for the duplicate.]

Dear Alessandro,

Am 01.06.21 um 23:32 schrieb Alessandro Tagliapietra:
> It seems that while DHCP6 doesn't return any error now and the DUID is
> the same after reboot and after network restart by our agent:
>
> DHCP6 Client DUID: DUID-EN/Vendor:0000ab118bf885a2ab7335a00000
>
> it never gets a DHCP6 IP after network restart and the state stays in
> "configuring".
>
> Logs only show
>
> DHCPv6 lease lost
> IPv6 successfully enabled

This looks like a new issue. A new thread or even report in the issue
tracker would be good. (At least it looks unrelated to overlayfs.)

> and only a reboot fixes the problem. I think I'll probably just move
> on and remove ipv6 support from the kernel (as it seems that changing
> the default and all values from sysctl doesn't apply to networkd).

I think you can add `ipv6.disable=1` to the Linux kernel command line to
achieve that, and that is respected by systemd-networkd (as it’s
disabled in the Linux kernel) [1]. `ipv6.disable_ipv6=1` is ignored in
my experience, because systemd-networkd writes to sysfs directly. (I
have not analyzed that.)

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/ipv6.html