[systemd-devel] what's the order in which systemd .device units are created ?

Abder koute102030 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 12:00:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

Even though I've browsed through a lot of resources I haven't found any
satisfying answer to my question. I've been trying to minimize the booting
time in the user land on my embedded board, and when I run the classic
$systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg I saw that there is a non-negligible slot
of time in which all what systemd does is creating device units that were
discovered via udev.

My problem is in the order in which these device units are created,
specially for the block device that contains my rootfs. What I noticed is
that when these device units are created, the one corresponding to my
rootfs blockdev partition is always the last one created, causing the other
services depending on it to wait much more than if the device unit was
created earlier.

So, I would like to know if systemd follows a special order when creating
these units, and if yes, what can I do so the device unit of my rootfs
blockdev partition can be the first one created ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.