[systemd-devel] rghvk at outlook.com

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 7 20:15:00 UTC 2021

On Mo, 07.06.21 22:47, Aravindhan Krishnan (aravindhank11 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we are running systemd inside the
> docker. We were also able to see the same issue even on top of
> Centos 7.9.

Unlike pretty much all other container managers Docker doesn't really
make it easy to run systemd inside it. Docker upstream is pretty
hostile towards systemd, so this is unlikely to change.

We document pretty extensively what container managers have to do to
make sure systemd just works inside containers. Pretty much all
container managers just implement that, but Docker doesn't. This is
what they need to implement:

https://systemd.io/CONTAINER_INTERFACE

Consider switching to a different container manager implementation,
there are plenty others. (in particular podman is mostly a drop-in
replacement for Docker, if you need Docker semantics. Podman upstream
isn't hostile towards systemd, so things mostly just work there.)

> Attaching the kernel and OS details of the centos host
>
> # uname -r
> 3.10.0-1160.25.1.el7.x86_64
>
> # cat /etc/centos-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

This is very old. You might want to switch to a newer OS for this
anyway.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin