[systemd-devel] early mounts in systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 3 14:38:00 UTC 2021

On Fr, 30.04.21 18:23, Silvio Knizek (killermoehre at gmx.net) wrote:

> Am Freitag, dem 30.04.2021 um 10:39 -0400 schrieb Rick Winscot:
> > My question for anyone on the list, is the method outlined below a
> > reasonable solution to mounting /var early in the start-up cycle?
> >
> > Or... is there a better way? Some trimming
> >

> Hi Rick,
>
> by definition if you need to mount /var (or /usr for this argument),
> you need an initrd [1] which actually set up everything as you
> requires. Anything else has a tendency to break in unpleasant ways due
> to race conditions and such. You don't need much, just enough to set up
> everything required for the root and API file systems.

>From systemd's side we actually explicitly support environments where
/var is mounted after the initrd transition. From our side everything
should just work, we should have all the necessary deps in place to
make /var being mounted post-initrd but still during early boot just
work. I'd consider a bug in systemd if something of systemd#s own
components can't deal with /var/ being mounted after the transition.

(I mean, there have been discussions on whether we shouldn't require
/var to be mounted from initrd, but so far we didn't decide that this
was necessary, given the political effort this would take to require)

Lennart Poettering, Berlin