[systemd-devel] systemctl service-watchdogs yes does not resume

Christopher Wong Christopher.Wong at axis.com
Tue May 11 21:07:00 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have put WatchdogSec= in a service file and I can see that the watchdog is firing and getting the SIGABRT. I then run "systemctl service-watchdogs no" to disable the watchdogs in the system. That works, since I am getting the a log print when my service watchdog fires instead of SIGABRT. Then I would like to enable the watchdogs again by using "systemctl service-watchdogs yes". However, my service no longer has a running watchdog unless I restart it. I would expect that all previously fired watchdogs during the disabled period will be resumed, but maybe it works in another way or am I missing something.

How is "systemctl service-watchdogs [yes|no]" supposed to work?

Is there another interface to access disable/enable all watchdogs, which is more suitable for a c-program?

The reason for above is an application that is occupying the CPU for a longer time, which results in many services configured with watchdogs being fired. Would like to disable the watchdogs during that period and resume the watchdogs one the heavy operation is finished.

Best Regards,

Christopher Wong