[systemd-devel] Running pam-enabled /bin/login sessions in unprivileged terminal emulators

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Thu May 27 22:06:01 UTC 2021

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 11:23:44 AM EDT Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fr, 21.05.21 21:29, nerdopolis (bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net) wrote:

> > > I don't follow?
> > >

> > I am sorry, I will try to be more clear. That first email, went through several
> > drafts, as at first it was longer and rambly, and I didn't want to bombard the
> > list with a giant wall of text.
> >

> > (I actually found my solution was to use socat since sending that last email.)
> >

> > I was seeking some more existing programs I could try to cobble together to
> > come up with a solution. The main things were:
>
> I still donÄt get what the "end goal" is. You start with the tools you
> want to reach your end goal, but never specify what precisely that end
> goal is.
>
> Do you intend to replace the Linux VT with a userspace implementation
> of the same concept?
>
> Or do you want to run a full-screen graphical terminal app on one
> Linux graphical VT that behaves like a text VT but renders stuff
> graphically?
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Berlin

Sorry I wasn't clear, it's a full screen graphical terminal that behaves
similar to a text VT.

I replace autovt at .service with the front end service that starts the instance
of the display server, and the terminal emulator.

I imagine replacing the whole VT would entail more than a full screen graphical
terminal emulating it...