[systemd-devel] /etc overlay

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 31 16:16:47 UTC 2021

On Fr, 28.05.21 16:31, Barbier, Renaud (renaud.barbier at abaco.com) wrote:

> So is it my understanding that as long as the mount or overlay
> happen early enough which is around the service for var-volatile-etc
> then there is a rescan and all config from the /etc in the volume
> will be used then?

The clean codepaths in systemd mean that systemd loads unit files
comprehensively only during early boot before it runs the first
services, or if something invokes "systemctl daemon-reload". The
latter is a bit dirty though, and won't change the boot transaction
already being executed at that time.

Thus, if you intend to drop in additional files as services you should
ideally do so before PID 1 initializes, i.e. in the initrd.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin