[systemd-devel] [systemd‑devel] Removing bold fonts from boot messages

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Oct 13 16:29:23 UTC 2021

Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Stupid question: If you see bold face at the end of the serial line, wouldn't
> changing the terminal type ($TERM) do?
> Maybe construct your own terminal capabilities.

I'd need a TERM that has colors but disallows bold fonts. For some
reason I wasn't even able to construct a terminfo that would disallow
colors when using that $TERM inside xterm (and starting a new bash).
It seems that xterm always has certain capabilities, i.e. "ls --color"
is always showing colors in xterm, also with TERM=xterm-mono and
everything else I tried.

Anway, settings a translation to bind "allow-bold-fonts(toggle)"
to a key in xterm resources allows to block bold fonts whenever
watching systemd boot messages via ipmi or AMT in a xterm...

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik    Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/