[systemd-devel] [systemd‑devel] Removing bold fonts from boot messages

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Sat Oct 16 21:31:32 UTC 2021

Ulrich Windl wrote:

> You are mixing sender and receiver:
> You cannot disable colors in the xterm binary (receiver) via termcap;
> instead you must restrict what the sender outputs via termcap:
> Xterm won't add colors when not requested. Also, not all programs use
> termcap. Classic VI and Emacs are probably good example who do use
> termcap/terminfo.

I've read a lot about it and start to understand what you mean.

> That's a translation in the receiver. You could also represent bold
> by colored text, but that's something different. Also if the ANSI
> escape sequences are hard-coded (monoculture?), you're out of luck.

Well, as far as I understand the ascii sequences are hard-coded in
systemd, and between v234 and v246 some sequences were added for
printing parts of the boot messages in bold. So all I can do is
indeed disabling bold fonts in the receiver, i.e. xterm. And as
xterm has a builtin function for that, it's quite easy to turn
them on and off on-the-fly...

Thanks for your explanations!

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/