[systemd-devel] A questions about modules-load service in systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 22 11:36:06 UTC 2021

On Fr, 22.10.21 10:31, Joakim Zhang (qiangqing.zhang at nxp.com) wrote:

> Hi systemd experts,
>
> I saw you guys did much contributions in modules-load part recently, I have a questions, some insight you input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
>
> Do you know how to load all modules in a single task? In other
> words, load all modules within a single task as I want they process
> sequentially.

Are you sure you mean "systemd-modules-load"? Most module loading
happens via udev, not systemd-modules-load. That service is only
required for a few select modules that do not support auto-loading.

udev loads all modules as the hw they are for shows up. And no there's
no way to make that sequential.

Why do you need this? For debugging purposes? To work around a broken driver?

> If I understand correctly, systemd-modules-load service now will
> fork many tasks to process different kernel modules parallelly.

It doesn't do that actually. But udev when it loads kernel modules
does things from a bunch of worker processes all in parallel.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin