[systemd-devel] Filter/Parse NETLINK_KOBJECT_UEVENT Messages

Ryan McClue re.mcclue at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:08:14 UTC 2021

I understand this is slightly off-topic, but I'm completely new to BPF. Analyzing libudev source and Internet I understand the general idea. However, I don't understand how information/what information is passed to the filter from the socket. For example, in my case the socket payload, i.e. buf_str = add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.4/1-2.4:1.0/input/input38/event14
1. How do I pass this string to the sock_filter/sock_fprog structures?
2. Is a correct way of filtering these to implement string parsing to check for '/event' sub-string in EPF bytecode?
I completely agree that using libudev is the way to go (and *a lot* more sane), however this is for my own understanding. Just by investigating this I have found out more about how udev works and now BPF.