[systemd-devel] Pre-installed portable services ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 20 15:19:06 UTC 2021

On Mo, 20.09.21 11:24, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (Umut.Tezduyar at axis.com) wrote:

> Hi. Is there such thing as “pre-installed” portable services? If
> not, what is the best way to achieve it. One option can be to place
> the files that “attach” command creates on the distro but I am
> worried that the files might be outdated depending on the systemd
> version the distro is shipped.

What do you mean by "pre-installed" precisely?

I mean, portable services can be dropped into /usr/lib/portables/,
i.e. a dir that typically is included in the base OS image? (As
opposed to /var/lib/portables/, where they are usually dropped, given
they should be able to be added anytime).

Or do you mean that they are also "pre-attached" and "pre-enabled"? If
you want that you could either call "portablectl attach" at boot, or
just package the symlinks/files the call creates.

We could also add some special dirs that may contain images we'll
automatically attach + enable during boot as we discover them. That'd
be a new feature though.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin