[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

Luca Boccassi luca.boccassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:34:37 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-04-06 at 08:05 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Nachricht <05cf10d04274dcbff07fed88e98dca2eebb24b7d.camel at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As part of our spring cleaning effort, we are considering when to
> > drop
> > support for split/unmerged-usr filesystem layouts.
> >
> > A build-time warning was added last year:
> >
> > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/9afd5e7b975e8051c011ff9c07c95e80bd
> > 954469
>
> Honestly to me the requirement that /usr be part of the root
> filesystem never had a reasonable argument.
> Instead I think systemd quit the concept of a simple scaled-down
> subset to bring up the system.
> Also with initrd/dracut the concept is even more odd, because the
> /usr found there is just some arbitrary subset of the real /usr
> (similar for other filesystems).
> So why couldn't that work with a really scaled-down /sbin?
>

> > We are now adding a runtime taint as well.
> >
> > Which distributions are left running with systemd on a
> > split/unmerged-
> > usr system?
> >
> > (reminder: we refer to a system that boots without a populated /usr
> > as
> > split-usr, and a system where bin, sbin and lib* are not symlinks
> > their counterparts under /usr as unmerged-usr)
>
> Symlinking /sbin or /usr/sbin binaries to /usr is also a bad concept
> IMHO.
>
> It seems systemd is the new Microsoft ("We know what is good for you;
> just accept it!") ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

Sorry, but you are about ~10 years late to this debate :-) The question
today is not whether it's good or bad, but who's left to do the switch.

We know Fedora/RHEL/CentOS/SUSE/Arch/Ubuntu have done the switch, and
presumably any of their derivatives.

We know Debian is, er, working on it, as per the most recent article on
LWN.

What about other distros that are not derivatives of the aboves and
that use systemd? Does anybody have any insight?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi