[systemd-devel] Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 7 08:59:31 UTC 2022

On Mi, 06.04.22 11:24, Mike Gilbert (floppym at gentoo.org) wrote:

> We are not likely to require merging of / and /usr for the foreseeable
> future. We are a "rolling release" distro and basically never require
> our users to re-install, which makes large file system migrations
> difficult. Also, many of our users would resist any attempt to force
> merged-/usr on them.

So, my guess would be that the people who dislike merged-/usr are also
the ones who dislike systemd, no? i.e. do they really matter if we are
talking about what to support in systemd? They'd not use our stuff
anyway, so why bother?

> I think it would be ok if systemd drops support for installing itself
> in /lib/systemd; we would just move everything under /usr/lib/systemd,
> and possibly set up some symlinks in /lib/systemd for the
> transition.

You guys are making your life hell, because you are afraid if making
it difficult...

Lennart Poettering, Berlin