[systemd-devel] all numeric usernames not allowed in systemd (version 245 onward)

Nikhil Kshirsagar nkshirsagar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:07:48 UTC 2022

Hello,

I gather from the discussion on
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/15141 that all numeric usernames
would no longer be supported on servers running systemd version 245 onward.
This was also reiterated by Frantisek and Lennart (thank you for your email

While I completely understand the motivation to do this, my concern is that
this change will break logins for users on a lot of servers that upgrade to
the new systemd.

Is there any chance systemd could support a configuration option in the
future to get the earlier "all numeric" user logins to work? With an
understanding that it would be at the users own risk?

Are there any pam_systemd configuration options under consideration that
might help anyone looking for such functionality? Or is the only option
"not to upgrade" for someone interested in preserving their all numeric
usernames?

Regards,
Nikhil.