[systemd-devel] all numeric usernames not allowed in systemd (version 245 onward)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 7 13:58:21 UTC 2022

On Do, 07.04.22 16:37, Nikhil Kshirsagar (nkshirsagar at gmail.com) wrote:

> While I completely understand the motivation to do this, my concern is that
> this change will break logins for users on a lot of servers that upgrade to
> the new systemd.

Well, it breaks anyway, since numeric user names are
ambiguous. i.e. if you allow this, then the question is if user "0"
actually is the user with UID 0, or the one with the literal user name
"0".

> Is there any chance systemd could support a configuration option in the
> future to get the earlier "all numeric" user logins to work? With an
> understanding that it would be at the users own risk?

I already told you clearly: no.

> Are there any pam_systemd configuration options under consideration that
> might help anyone looking for such functionality? Or is the only option
> "not to upgrade" for someone interested in preserving their all numeric
> usernames?

No. Sorry.

Migrate away from such usernames. It cannot work.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin