[systemd-devel] Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

Wol antlists at youngman.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 22:02:06 UTC 2022

On 07/04/2022 17:47, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> So, my guess would be that the people who dislike merged-/usr are also
>> the ones who dislike systemd, no? i.e. do they really matter if we are
>> talking about what to support in systemd? They'd not use our stuff
>> anyway, so why bother?

There's probably also a big minority of users (like me) who may be
pro-systemd, but run a systemd-hostile distro for reasons that are
nothing to do with systemd ...

> There's probably a large overlap between users who don't like systemd
> and users who don't like merged-/usr. I would guess we don't have a
> critical mass of users/developers running systemd.
>
> I could probably force the users who do run systemd to migrate to
> merged-/usr, but I don't really see much benefit from that if all
> other packages in Gentoo still need to support both configurations.

And I'm sorry if I upset Mike, but I class gentoo as systemd-hostile.
It's MUCH easier to install/run Gentoo with OpenRC, systemd isn't that
well documented (it's better than it was). There are people who support
systemd, but I get the impression it's seen as an unwanted rival to OpenRC.

But there's not much choice out there for systemd-friendly source-based
distros. Funtoo is openly anti-systemd. Sourceror (which I plan to play
with) seems not to be that successful - looks like there are few users
beyond the core developers ... and that feels like it's one of the
better ones ...

Cheers,
Wol