[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: Disallowing fingerprint authentication if pam_systemd_home.so needs a password

juice juice at swagman.org
Tue Apr 26 07:11:58 UTC 2022

On 4/26/22 09:41, Ulrich Windl wrote:

>> Using fingerprint for *authentication* is totally broken concept which
>> should never be allowed.
> Why? Is a PIN any better?

PIN is much better. You will not be leaving your PIN to any drinking
glass you handle or to doorhandles that you open. People leave
fingerprints all around the place and it has been repeatedly
demonstrated that fingerprints can be easily extracted and replicated to
silicone fingers which can be used to fool fingerprint readers.

>> We leave our fingerprints lying around all the time, and given malicious
>> enough adversaries they might as well take our fingers too. (I sure would
>> like to avoid that possibility!!)
> So you are saying users leave themselves lying around everywhere? ;-)

People leave fingerprints. Fingerprints can be used to open devices
locked by fingerprint. There is also a risk that someone may kill you
and cut off your finger.

>> Fingerprints can be used on place of username, that is OK and does not
>> present similar risks.
> Fingerprints are mote than a userid IMHO.

Fingerprint is exactly that, it is user identification. The police have
been using fingerprints now 130 years for identifying people. Some
misguided fools have been trying to use fingerprints as substitute for
phone unlock PIN for maybe 10 years or so.

   - juice -