[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd‑devel] Splitting sd‑boot from systemd/bootctl for enabling sd‑boot in Fedora

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Apr 29 06:05:01 UTC 2022

<t4e91m$nb2$1 at ciao.gmane.io>:
> On 4/28/22 05:30, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> So are there any distros that have /etc/fstab in initrd?
>> Having to start mount units manually is just terrible when a simple "mount
>> /var" would do.
>
> Putting /etc/fstab in the initrd would mean that it would need to be
> rebuilt every time that file (or a plugin in /etc/fstab.d, or a mount
> unit) changed.

The environments I have here have fstabs that don't change for years, while kernel updates happen monthly at least.
Even more important, it's not necessary that the fstab in initrd is always up to date; it only needs the entries for the base OS (sometimes called the TCB).
Once you have the environment that allows a "mkinitrd" consistently you can fix all the other problems.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl