[systemd-devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: [RFC] systemd-resolved: Send d-bus signal after DNS resolution

Suraj Krishnan suraj.krishnan at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 18 16:39:11 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I wanted to revive this thread and provide an update on the status of this feature/PR.

The feature adds a mechanism for privileged users to monitor DNS resolutions on the system, by adding a new varlink interface that exposes a method for clients to subscribe to such notifications. The feature will be off by default. Lennart's suggestion to use varlink for this turned out to be quite valuable and we've been successfully using this patch for the last few months. We're using it to update the firewall (drop by default) based on pre-configured allow-list of hostnames. We also leverage nftable's queue feature to address race conditions associated with asynchronously updating the network firewall.

I received great feedback from the community on the PR, much of which is already incorporated. There are two more suggestions that aren't incorporated yet:
1) Add "resolvectl monitor" functionality to provide a built-in way to monitor the notifications and try out the feature easily (note that varlink CLI tools are just as easy to setup/use)
2) Add a d-bus property when the feature is in use. This allows unprivileged clients to be aware that DNS requests are monitored on the system.

At this point, I'm writing to gauge if the devs would be open to accepting this patch in its current form, or would like to have 1) and/or 2) incorporated into the same PR, or have any concerns about the feature in general.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/22845

Thanks
Suraj