[systemd-devel] Issue with systemd / journalctl

systemd at sioban.net systemd at sioban.net
Mon Dec 26 13:52:07 UTC 2022

  Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm at the wrong place but I feel I have a big issue with
systemd and journalctl.
Basically I know no more journal logs since 24/10 and I have no real
idea why.

Here is the full story, if I'm at the wrong place, please tell me so.

I've discovered I have an issue with systemd on my Debian server. I've
seen that some logging service don't want to start through systemd but
the daemon itself start without issues:

 > ❯ systemctl start rsyslog.service
 > A dependency job for rsyslog.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for
details.

If I start manually rsyslogd, it's working:

 > ❯ /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
 > ❯ ps awx | grep rsyslog
 >   45995 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/rsyslogd

So I tried to understand what's wrong with systemd.

First,  journalctl -xe shows only lines from 24 Oct, nothing recent.

I've tried timedatectl to ensure the date is correct but got this message

 > ❯ timedatectl
 > Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

I've searched a lot on Internet and ended up running systemctl --failed
command and it shown many failed services:

 > ❯ systemctl --failed
 >   UNIT                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
 > ● dbus.socket                     loaded failed failed D-Bus System
Message Bus Socket
 > ● syslog.socket                   loaded failed failed Syslog Socket
 > ● systemd-fsckd.socket            loaded failed failed fsck to fsckd
communication Socket
 > ● systemd-journald-audit.socket   loaded failed failed Journal Audit
Socket
 > ● systemd-journald-dev-log.socket loaded failed failed Journal Socket
(/dev/log)
 > ● systemd-journald.socket         loaded failed failed Journal Socket
 > ● systemd-udevd-control.socket    loaded failed failed udev Control
Socket
 > ● systemd-udevd-kernel.socket     loaded failed failed udev Kernel Socket
 > ● uuidd.socket                    loaded failed failed UUID daemon
activation socket

 > LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
 > ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of
SUB.
 > SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
 > 9 loaded units listed.

I've re-installed systemd-sysv and rebooted, cleaned old journalctl
entries but same issues.

Basically, I'm clueless here :/ If someone have an idea :D