[systemd-devel] Syslog forwarding not working within journal namespace

Aaron Enberg pastaaroni at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:00:38 UTC 2022

Hi maintainers,

I am trying to get syslog forwarding working with a journal namespace I
created for my application.

My system is on Debian 11, systemd 247 (247.3-7+deb11u1)

Originally, my service used the default namespace and forwarding to
syslog was working. After creating a journal namespace and assigning
my service to it with
LogNamespace=my-namespace now the logs from my application do not get
forwarded to syslog.

I have made sure /etc/systemd/journald at my-namespace.conf exists and contains the
setting ForwardToSyslog=yes. I actually just copied the default config at
/etc/systemd/journal.conf which has forwarding enabled by default. I can see the
logs in the journal with journalctl --namespace my-namespace.

I haven't seen any bugs reported on this so I must be missing something.

Regards,

Aaron