[systemd-devel] Udevd and dev file creation

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 1 14:03:46 UTC 2022

On Di, 01.02.22 16:04, Nishant Nayan (nayan.nishant2000 at gmail.com) wrote:

> One thought
> Is it advisable to turn off systemd-udevd if I am sure that I won't be
> adding /removing any devices to my server.

Note that there are various synthetic/virtual devices that are created
on app request, i.e. lvm, loopback, network devices and such. We live
in a dynamic and virtual world, where devices come and go all the
time.

Moreover there are various devices that send out uevents for
change notification of various forms. If you turn off udev apps won't
get those either. i.e. udev is about more than just plug + unplug.

If you stop udev apps waiting for their devices to show up won't be
able to ever get the ready notifications for that and thus will stop
working.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin