[systemd-devel] Udevd and dev file creation

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Feb 6 12:04:41 UTC 2022

On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 01:43:08PM +0530, Nishant Nayan wrote:
> While reading the code I came across :-
> struct Manager
> struct Worker
> Can you please provide an overview on these, I did not get a clear cut
> explanation on these structs, the code only has its member variables.

Those are the "workers" that handle the uevents that are sent by the
kernel.  Put the program in a debugger to see how they work if you have
questions.

> Also what is the variable 'arg_children_max'
> Why is it specifically set to 8 + no_of_cpus*2 ?

Because based on tuning, that's the "best" number that was come up with.
If in your testing you think it should be different, please submit a
patch.

But note that the current number has been tested to work well on both
single CPU machines, as well as machines with thousands of cpus that
bring hundreds of thousands of devices online all at once when booting.

thanks,

greg k-h