[systemd-devel] Which distributions copy systemd-networkd 'link' files into the initramfs?

Kevin P. Fleming kevin at km6g.us
Sun Feb 6 13:48:13 UTC 2022

Is this just a Debian (and derivatives) feature, or more common?

I just spent nearly an hour trying to figure out why the link file
changes I'd made on a system were not working properly, and this was
the cause. I even ran 'networkctl status' on an interface that should
no longer exist, and it reported a 'Link File' path that did not
exist... because it *used* to exist (in /etc, not /usr), and had been
copied into the initramfs.

At a minimum, I'd like to suggest to the relevant distros that they
modify systemd.link(5) to clearly indicate that this behavior exists
and that any changes to link files must be accompanied by an initramfs
update or the behavior on the next system boot may result in a
non-functional network.