[systemd-devel] Odd behaviour on boot

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 12:54:05 UTC 2022

Bear in mind I did have a malformed scarletdme.service file, it was
missing "Type=forking", but it shouldn't be bringing down unrelated
services, should it?

This is the output from dovecot, which clearly failed to start on boot...

thewolery /dev # systemctl status dovecot
× dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
      Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-02-07 07:55:11
GMT; 3min 53s ago
        Docs: man:dovecot(1)
              https://doc.dovecot.org/
     Process: 1511 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot -F (code=killed, signal=TERM)
     Process: 1529 ExecStop=/usr/bin/doveadm stop (code=exited, status=75)
    Main PID: 1511 (code=killed, signal=TERM)
         CPU: 22ms

Feb 07 07:55:09 thewolery systemd[1]: Started Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email
server.
Feb 07 07:55:11 thewolery doveadm[1529]: Fatal: Dovecot is not running
(read from /run/dovecot/ma>
Feb 07 07:55:11 thewolery systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Control process
exited, code=exited, statu>
Feb 07 07:55:11 thewolery systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Failed with
result 'exit-code'.
thewolery /dev # systemctl restart dovecot

But both samba and sshd failed similarly. I have vague recollections
somewhere of seeing a reference to qm in either the sshd or samba output
pre-restart, but don't know how to get back to it. (qm is the program
started by scarletdme.service.)

Any ideas, anybody suspect it might be a bug in systemd? I've fixed the
scarletdme.service, but it's a bit weird that it's the first time I
booted with the broken .service, and three (at least) other services
failed. Although my system does seem to have stability problems, so I
don't know for certain where to place any blame.

Cheers,
Wol