[systemd-devel] Odd behaviour on boot

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 19:28:46 UTC 2022

On 07/02/2022 17:55, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> Basically you have *a lot* of service daemons getting killed – some of
> them restart cleanly, others not – and it looks a bit like scarletdme is
> the one doing it. It even looks like it ended up killing itself, too.

Thank you very much. I think that explains WHAT is going on, now to find
out why. But that's not your problem.

Basically, ScarletDME is an old fashioned daemon - a database backend.
So you start it off as super-user with a --start option, it forks and
backgrounds itself. Because the service file did not contain
"Type=forking", systemd promptly ran the --stop option. Which for some
reason started killing everything left right and centre!

I didn't notice it before because I wrote although I wrote the .service
file, I didn't add the ExecStop. It was only when my system crashed and
rebooted with the updated service file that things went wrong ... big
time :-)

(And of course, as a database background daemon, it doesn't normally get
shut down unless the system gets shut down.)

Cheers,
Wol