[systemd-devel] Help understanding "notify" (SLES15 SP3 restarting smartd)

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 09:34:02 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 11:21 AM Ulrich Windl <
Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a support case for SLES15 SP3 (systemd-246.16-7.33.1.x86_64) where
> smartd is restarted for no obvious reason. Support says everything is fine,
> but I disagree.
> Specifically smartd.service uses:
>
> [Service]
> Type=notify
> EnvironmentFile=-/var/lib/smartmontools/smartd_opts
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smartd -n $smartd_opts
> ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
>
> And mostly I wonder to what types of changes "notify" does react.

None. It's not an activation mechanism and not a configuration monitoring
mechanism – it's a readiness indication mechanism.

Type=notify expects the service to send a message to a Unix socket (at
$NOTIFY_SOCKET) indicating that it is "ready". (And optionally some custom
text to show in 'systemctl status'.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas