[systemd-devel] Service activation

Wol antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 00:03:26 UTC 2022

More fun getting things to work ... :-)

So I've got a service, scarletdme.service, which fires up my db backend
for running interactively. However, I also need a socket service for
remote connections.

I've got the xinetd files, but if I'm running systemd, I want to use
systemd :-)

So I've written scarletdme.socket, and scarletdme at .service, but the more
I read, the more I don't understand ...

Do I enable scarletdme.socket the same as anything else eg "systemctl
enable scarletdme.socket"? How does it know the difference between
scarletdme.service and scarletdme at .service? I get the impression I need
to put something in the .socket file to make it use scarletdme@ rather
than scarletdme?

And once I've got all that sorted, I'm betting I'm going to have grief
getting it to work properly, so while it's not much to do with systemd,
is there any way I can get systemd to log all traffic back and forth so
I can debug it?

Cheers,
Wol