[systemd-devel] Service activation

Wol antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 17:16:04 UTC 2022

On 13/02/2022 16:42, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> So the answer to that is nice and simple,
>> "systemctl enable/start scarletdme.socket"
> no, you start a socket by "systemctl start". You enable a socket,
> service, unit,... via "systemctl enable"
>
> enable and start are different concepts.

Yes. I know. But.

Bearing in mind my knowledge of systemd was pretty much NIL a week or
two ago, apart from following recipes for gentoo ... (which is not
particularly systemd-friendly ...)

I've learnt a heck of a lot very quickly :-) but as I see it "start"
starts the service *now*, "enable" starts the service *at boot*.

>> Now what I don't want is for scarletdme.socket to invoke
>> scarletdme.service. How do I tell it that it is supposed to invoke
>> scarletdme at .service? Or have I messed up naming conventions? Or what the
>> hell is the proper way to do it?

> Please read again what Mantas wrote. He explained all that rather nicely.

Just like a manual ... now I've gone back to it, (now I've found a
*longer* explanation elsewhere,) it makes sense. "nowait", "template",
all that stuff, I didn't understand that ...

Sorry, but when you're explaining things, you need to go into much more
detail than you may be comfortable with. Otherwise you're just
explaining terms the questioner doesn't understand, using other terms
they don't understand ... :-) Them as can't do, teach ... because them
as can do often can't teach :-)

Anyway, thanks a lot. It has helped, it made it much easier for me to
"know what I didn't know" and find what I needed.

Cheers,
Wol