[systemd-devel] eth2: Failed to rename network interface 6 from 'eth2' to 'eno1': File exists

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com
Wed Jan 5 10:17:20 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 08:39 +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> On 2022-01-04 16:14:16, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> >
> > You have two interfaces which export the same onboard interface
> > There is not much udev can do here; the only option is to disable
> > onboard interface name policy. The attributes that are used by udev
> > are "acpi_index"  and "index". Check values of these attributes for
> > all interfaces.
> >

> I will check, but please note that I didn't enable this. AFAIU Debian
> uses the settings according to the guidelines of upstream.

This is default behavior. To disable it, you need to use
"net.ifnames=0". If you see the same value multiple times for either
"acpi_index" or "index", it'd be a firmware problem. I suppose it can
happen that one device has acpi_index==1 and another one has index==1
(IIRC the first is derived from ACPI _DSM, the second from SMBIOS / DMI
type 41).

Martin