[systemd-devel] How can we debug systemd-gpt-auto-generator failures?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:16:56 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 1:51 PM Kevin P. Fleming <kevin at km6g.us> wrote:

> I've got two systems that report a failure (exit code 1) every time
> systemd-gpt-auto-generator is run. There are a small number of reports
> of this affecting other users too:
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/73168
>
> This *may* be related to the use of ZFS, although I've got a
> half-dozen systems using ZFS and only two of them have this issue.
>
> Running the generator from the command line also produces exit code 1,
> but doesn't produce any output. is there any practical way to debug
> this failure?

Start with SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug (and SYSTEMD_LOG_TARGET=console if you
want to run the tool from CLI, otherwise it logs to journal). If it only
fails as part of a daemon-reexec, `systemctl set-environment` (not sure if
`systemctl log-level` has any effect on non-pid1 processes). Since it uses
libblkid, there's also LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas