[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: Q: Start network in chroot?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 13 14:34:25 UTC 2022

Ulrich Windl wrote on 13/06/2022 14:42:
> Nachricht <t87c9t$lon$1 at ciao.gmane.io>:
>> Ulrich Windl wrote on 13/06/2022 09:09:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>> 1) Why can't I use "systemctl start network" in a chroot environment (e.g.
>> mounting the system from a rescue medium to fix a defective kernel)? When I
>> try I get: "Running in chroot, ignoring command 'start'"
>>> 2) How can I start the network using systemd?
>>
>> You may wish to consider "booting" the container rather than just chrooting.
>
> No container involved; an unbootable system instead, and I'd like to have networking available for repair.
> So obviously I cannot boot. Without systemd it wouldn't be a problem.

So you're not running an init system but you want the (not-running) init
system to run something for you?

If you're wanting to repair a system, and you need networking then bring
up the network in the repair image before chrooting surely? (i.e. what
Mantas said)

If you want to run the network inside the (broken) system you're trying
to repair, then just run the networking scripts or program manually.
i.e. run whatever /etc/init.d/network says or whatever ExecStart= says
in /usr/lib/systemd/network.service says (paths may vary).

There will be loads of other stuff that the init system does that won't
be in place (e.g. tmpfiles, etc.) which you may or may not need to setup
manually too, but you can likely get it running.

 > Without systemd it wouldn't be a problem.

Sure when "init" was just a bundle of scripts, you could run one of the
scripts it runs and hope for the best. You can generally still do that,
but just don't expect asking a non-running program to do it for you to work!

Col