[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Q: Start network in chroot?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Jun 14 05:57:50 UTC 2022

Nachricht <t87hth$49u$1 at ciao.gmane.io>:

>> Nachricht <t87c9t$lon$1 at ciao.gmane.io>:

>>> mounting the system from a rescue medium to fix a defective kernel)? When I
>>> try I get: "Running in chroot, ignoring command 'start'"
>>>
>>> You may wish to consider "booting" the container rather than just chrooting.
>>
>> No container involved; an unbootable system instead, and I'd like to have
> networking available for repair.
>> So obviously I cannot boot. Without systemd it wouldn't be a problem.
>
> So you're not running an init system but you want the (not-running) init
> system to run something for you?

I don't understand:
The rescue system I'm using (SLES 14 SP3) uses systemd, and the system that woon't boo is also using systemd (SLES15 SP3).

> If you're wanting to repair a system, and you need networking then bring
> up the network in the repair image before chrooting surely? (i.e. what
> Mantas said)

Well the configuration files are not in the generic rescue system, but in the system that won't boot (I think I had explained that).
Also things became much more complicated with systemd and wickedd and all that stuff.

> If you want to run the network inside the (broken) system you're trying
> to repair, then just run the networking scripts or program manually.
> i.e. run whatever /etc/init.d/network says or whatever ExecStart= says
> in /usr/lib/systemd/network.service says (paths may vary).

There are no files inside /etc/init.d/.

> There will be loads of other stuff that the init system does that won't
> be in place (e.g. tmpfiles, etc.) which you may or may not need to setup
> manually too, but you can likely get it running.
>
>  > Without systemd it wouldn't be a problem.
>
> Sure when "init" was just a bundle of scripts, you could run one of the
> scripts it runs and hope for the best. You can generally still do that,
> but just don't expect asking a non-running program to do it for you to work!

Still I don't understand: systemd is running.

Regards,
Ulrich