[systemd-devel] Waiting for network routes to appear

Kevin P. Fleming kevin at km6g.us
Wed Jun 15 23:33:58 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 5:03 PM Barry <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> To be robust why not make the services recover from network issues?
> Then you do not need to care about the routes.
> Of course you will need to know if services have outages.
>
> Even if a route was working at some point what do you do if the route
> goes down later?

While I would love to do that, the services in question aren't my
code, and I can't easily/quickly change their behavior. At the moment
I have systemd setup to allow them to restart a large number of times
so that they'll eventually start up and connect, and of course if they
fail during operation they'll get restarted too. I want to wait for
the routes just to improve the elegance of the installation, not its
function :-)