[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: timer "OnBootSec=15m" not triggering

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 7 13:08:18 UTC 2022

On Mo, 07.03.22 12:24, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Thanks for that. The amazing things are that "systemd.analyze verify" finds no
> problem and "enable" virtually succeeds, too:

Because there is no problem really: systemd allows you to define your
targets as you like, and we generally focus on a model where you can
extend stuff without requiring it to be installed. i.e. we want to
allow lose coupling, where stuff can be ordered against other stuff,
or be pulled in by other stuff without requiring that the other stuff
to be hard installed. Thus you can declare that you want to be pulled
in by a target that doesn't exist, and that's *not* considered an
issue, because it might just mean that you haven't installed the
package that defines it.

Example: if you install mysql and apache, then there's a good reason
you want that mysql runs before apache, so that the web apps you run
on apache can access mysql. Still it should be totally OK to install
one without the other, and it's not a bug thus if one refers to the
other in its unit files, even if the other thing is not installed.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin