[systemd-devel] version bump of minimal kernel version supported by systemd?

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Mar 23 08:17:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 08:07:48AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 05:27:07PM +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we are considering dropping upstream support for kernel versions < 4.4.
> > Would this be a problem for anyone? (*).
>
> Given that upstream (i.e. kernel.org) has dropped support for kernel
> 4.4, why not just move to not supporting kernels older than 4.9?

It seems Civil Infrastructure Platform (a project under the Linux
Foundation) still uses 4.4 [1].

In the Debian world, Stretch which has EOL scheduled for June 2022 has 4.9,
and after that Buster has 4.19.

Of course we'd like to move to 4.19, but we don't want to disrupt distros
that use older kernels. Is ≤4.19 really unused?

[1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start

Zbyszek