[systemd-devel] version bump of minimal kernel version supported by systemd?

Luca Boccassi bluca at debian.org
Wed Mar 23 15:58:22 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-03-23 at 12:38 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 11:28:29AM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:

> > > That's why I (we) asked the question on the list. If people are compling
> > > systemd on such old systems, or even older, we want to know about it.

> > > Yep. I'd vote for bumping to 4.9, unless some other voices pop up.
> > >
> > > Zbyszek
> >
> > Let's do 4.4 at most please - what's on kernel.org is not really that
> > important, as real usage is downstream from there anyway.
>
> And I will publically state that anyone still using 4.4.y today has an
> insecure and unsupported system.  Please let's not encourage _ANYONE_ to
> do this.
>
> CIP is "special" in that they know what they are doing, and are using
> 4.4.y in a very limited set of use cases and configurations.  And even
> they are going to have big problems keeping that kernel alive and
> secure.  I would never expect anyone else to be able to do it, and I
> have doubts that they will either.
>
> So any "real usage" of 4.4 after today, should not matter.  And if
> someone complains, send them to me please.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

You can publically state that all day long, but you know perfectly well
that's not how the world works. In the grand scheme of things few
production scenarios build their kernel from kernel.org, most will be
getting it from a distro (best case) or a vendor (worst case), and they
couldn't care less about what kernel.org tells them to do, they use
what they get. I fully expect at some point to hear complaints from
some poor soul stuck on 3.x because of $crappy_arm_vendor with no way
to move on from there.

Jumping forward from 3.13 to 4.4 as the baseline, allowing to take
cgroupsv2 for granted, seems like a good starting point to me. There's
very obvious and public evidence of that being used in the wild. We can
start to drop a bunch of backward-compat cruft, wait and see who
complains, and if nobody does we can re-evaluate again in a couple of
years.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi