[systemd-devel] problem starting systemd in a container using parameters --default-standard-output=fd --default-standard-error=fd:stdout

masber masber masber at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:25:45 UTC 2022

Dear systemd users,

I experimenting with running systemd in a container, the container engine I am using is docker (I know is not ideal but this is a hard requirement for now).

I start the container like this:
CMD ["/usr/lib/systemd/systemd", "--system", "--default-standard-output=fd", "--default-standard-error=fd:stdout"]

But this seems to break something because neither journald nor dbus processes runs

The issue is with the flags --default-standard-output and --default-standard-error because everything seems ok if those are removed from the command.

Any idea why --default-standard-output=fd --default-standard-error=fd:stdout breaks systemd?

thank you