[systemd-devel] Splitting sd-boot from systemd/bootctl for enabling sd-boot in Fedora

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri May 6 09:12:06 UTC 2022

On 27/04/2022 14:53, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I think we systematically disagree on one point here: I am pretty sure
> picking a boot loader is genuinely someting a distro should be doing,
> and not the admin really. I mean, yes, I personally of course switched
> away from Fedora's default choice of grub to use sd-boot, and of
> course I'd prefer if it wasn't such a mess to do so. But also: we
> should not advertise this as something people should actually do and
> should make easy to do.

EXCEPT. The boot loader loads the distro. An OS has no say in the
computer's choice of BIOS/EFI because that's what starts the distro.
Same for boot loader.

There's a whole bunch of comments on LWN at the moment comparing
computers to "cattle or pet". For "cattle", yep if the distro chooses
the boot loader who cares.

But for "pet"s (like my computer), (a) I'm going to need more
hand-holding because I'm not a professional sys-admin, and (b) my system
is multi-boot - it's bad enough with distros squabbling over who has
control of grub.cfg, without them also squabbling over whether it's
grub, systemd-bootd, rEFInd, LILO, whatever whatever.

(Yup, maybe I'm not doing things the best way, but it's my way, and its
the way that made sense when I set it up, I don't want to change it ...
and it may not be the recommended way but I didn't know there was a
recommended way :-)

Cheers,
Wol