[systemd-devel] [SPAM] Re: Custom options and passing options via command line.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 10 09:23:33 UTC 2022

On Mo, 09.05.22 19:13, Kamil Jońca (kjonca at fastmail.com) wrote:

> >> 3. decide where to resolve names based on domain and existence of ipsec
> >> or openvpn tunnel.
> >
> > Sounds like a job for the resolved domain routing logic, which already
> > exists?
>
> Not quite. When I asked previously  I got response, that resolved is
> based on interfaces. But ipsec tunnel does not need dedicated
> interface.

but networkd-dispatcher stuff is also interface based, no? so it
wouldn't solve your problem either?

> I still do not know what mean "local host" here. I guess that this will
> be interface address.  :)

Yes.

> I still do not know if this is rather "snat" or rather "masquerade". How
> can I decide which to use. And what engine is used here.

The engine is decided at build time, i.e. can be either iptables or nftables.

> I know that networkd cannot handle bridge without ports (quite
> convenient when you use it as dummy interface with qemu machines)

It cannot?

> > Afaics RouteMetric= [DHCPv4] section already does all you need. just
> > give the iface whose default route you want to take precedence a lower
> > metric and you are done.
>
> How? By editing files? And what with other examples?

I am not sure I follow? when do you intend to change the preference?

> > Note anyway that networkd assumes it manages an interface in its
> > entirety: if you muck with what it sets up it likely will override
> > your changes sooner or later, when some event happens... you have a
>
> I do not want interfere with interfaces "per se" I simply want to get
> some info from systemd and pass it to dnsmasq (for DNS) or nftables (for
> filtering) . That's it.

You started out asking about default routes?

Lennart Poettering, Berlin