[systemd-devel] certificate and trust store feature for systemd

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Thu May 26 10:27:15 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-05-26 at 12:42 +0300, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 4:28 PM SCOTT FIELDS
> <Scott.Fields at kyndryl.com> wrote:
> > I apologize for the very general inquiry.
> >
> > Are there any plans to have system natively support its own trust
> > store for items like CAs, x509 certs, passwords & truststores akin
> > to the keychain in Windows and OS X?
> >
> > I still find the management of PKIs in /etc/pki to be problematic.
> >
> > Having this available as a core service within systemd using like
> > APIs either in (mostly deprecated) CAPI or the new CNG
> >

> This sounds more like the area of p11-kit, rather than systemd.

Hi,

I also think that this is an area that is lacking on Linux.

For NetworkManager, the plan was something like
  https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/PKCS11

Related also:
  https://wiki.gnome.org/LubomirRintel/NMPkcs11

(of course, this is not supposed to be NetworkManager-specific).

More work is needed.

best,
Thomas