[systemd-devel] Why are journal files stored in machine-specific directories?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:49:29 UTC 2022

On Thu, May 26, 2022, 16:27 Jakub Piecuch <j.piecuch96 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering why journald stores journal files under
> /var/log/journal/$MACHINE_ID instead of just /var/log/journal.

It allows logs from remote systems to be collected using ordinary rsync or
NFS or other file-based tools. Similarly, for containers running on the
local system, their log directories can be directly symlinked under the
host's /var/log/journal.

In both cases `journalctl -m` would show logs from all machine IDs, while
the default is to only show logs from the local host.