[systemd-devel] Finding network interface name in different distro

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:41:36 UTC 2022

Hi All,

When changing distro or distro major versions, network interfaces'
names sometimes change.
For example on some Dell server running CentOS 7 the interface is
named em1 and running Alma 8 it's eno1.

I'm looking for a way to find the new interface name in advance
without booting the new OS.
One way I found is to unpack the initramfs, mount bind /sys, chroot,
and then run
udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/INTF
Problem is that it doesn't give me right away the name according to
the NamePolicy in 99-default.link

Is there a command to get the future name right away ?

Thanks
Etienne