[systemd-devel] systemd-resolved and dhclient nameservers

Alex Cheamitru apcheamitru at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 16:49:59 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm curious about whether or not dhclient-provided DNS servers will be
added to resolv.conf when it is managed by systemd-resolved.  The man page
mentions *"... **and dynamically at run time, for example from DHCP
leases",* but I'm not sure if that only applies to systemd-networkd leases.

To test, I emptied my current resolv.conf (which contained
dhclient-provided nameservers) and started systemd-resolved.

> /etc/resolv.conf
systemctl start systemd-resolved

After doing this, I see no nameservers defined
in /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf.

Is that expected behavior?  I was hoping to see my DHCP-provided
nameservers in resolv.conf, but that wasn't the case.

Thanks,
Alex